Monday, November 9, 2015

5 Reasons Being an Orthodox Rabbi Compelled Me to Support Gay Marriage

Rabbi Shmuly Yanklowitz For The Blog/Huffington Post

I am coming out of the closet. I am an Orthodox rabbi and an advocate for gay marriage.

The history of the theological issue is complicated, but the moral issue is increasingly clear. Faith leaders must stand as public allies; private support is no longer enough. Fifteen states and counting have formally approved marriage equality. It's time that traditional faith leaders stand for gay rights, including the right to marriage.

As an Orthodox Jew, I believe the Bible was given by G-d, that Jewish law is binding, and that change in our religious practice cannot happen impetuously. It also means that I take the pervasive biblical call for justice very seriously. I am pro-gay-rights because I am an Orthodox rabbi, not in spite of it.

Continue reading.

For more LGBT news, check out our    page.



No comments:

Post a Comment