Monday, April 13, 2015

LGBTQ Orthodox Teens, Forging a Derech

Justin Spiro, Special To The Jewish Week
 “Do you have any resources for a 15-year-old gay yeshiva high school student?”

It was 2011, and I could hardly believe my ears. I apologized to this desperate mother and offered the small consolation that her son can attend the JQY adult meetings when he graduates high school. (JQY is the largest national non-profit supporting LGBTQ youth and their families in the Orthodox community.) As I hung up the phone, I didn’t feel very good, so I could only imagine how she and her son felt. This was just months after a string of high-profile LGBTQ teen suicides, and the It Gets Better Project had been launched to give LGBTQ youth a message of hope for the future. JQY even created its own "It Gets Better" video for Orthodox gay youth. While the project was well-intentioned, the It Gets Better message tells a drowning child that a raft is coming. Some teens simply cannot stay afloat. It was time to build more rafts.

Continue reading.

For more LGBT news, check out our    page.


No comments:

Post a Comment